Tuesday, January 2, 2007

How this came about

As a social networking junkie -I'm a headhunter for the ICT industry so it's a "professional" disease- I became suspicious when 9 out of 10 new network invitations turned out to be American. I decided that couldn't be right and started my research on social networks in Europe. Or rather the European Union (EU) to be precise. After one week it finally dawned on me this limitation was a bit ludicrous since most networks have an international audience, so I decided to enlarge my scope. Today, one month later, I'm writing a book on the different social networks used around the world, be it social, professional or niche networks. All with Web 2.0 features (after all, I still work in IT ;-))
Or how one small research project can quickly get out of hand...

If you'd like to know more, check back in a couple of days for the international survey I will be posting. Or better still, subscribe to the feed.
Looking forward to receiving your imput, Americans and non-Americans ;-)

1 comment:

Scott Allen said...

An:

To find some local experts in China, I'd recommend starting with Xing, which already has a fairly good presence there. Track me down there and I'll be happy to make some introductions.

We've done a fair amount of coverage of global social networks on our blog, and have done several pieces on nationalaty- and ethnic-based networking groups in the U.S., many of which are global or focused on connections between the homeland and the U.S. I can't put too many links in here without being flagged, but just as a couple of examples:
Chinese-American Networks
South Asian Networking Groups

I'd be happy to connect and point you towards some additional resources, both written and human.